Got DD10's 5th grade schedule yesterday:

HR
Double period of math
Special (art, PE, computers, spanish)
Double period of science alternating with double social studies
Lunch
"TRIPLE" period language arts/reading, including a 25-minute 9th period of "supplemental" LA

I'm kind of horrified, as DD has gotten very little differentiated LA/Reading since she's been in school, and tested at about an 11th grade level at the beginning of 4th grade. When I mentioned my concerns yesterday with a friend on the school board, she suggested talking to the principal about acceleration.

So, here are my concerns: my kid is 10. She's a super-sensitive kid, and while she has good friends (she's been in this small PK-8 school since Pre-K), she also is hyper-sensitive to perceived slights, social drama, etc. She's an intense, emotional person, and still loves make-believe. I fear that, at this pre-pubescent age, acceleration would totally rock her world, and not in a good way.

So, has anyone accelerated a sensitive kid at this sensitive age? What were your experiences for the kid socially and emotionally?

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.