Originally Posted by George C
Here is a post fairly typical example of the sentiment against Autism Speaks: http://thescientificparent.org/autism-speaks-but-does-it-listen/
From this post, what main points do you take away? This is what I see:

1) dislikes concept of remediation/training/direct teaching
"...cures..."
2) dislikes concept of diagnosis
"lens of pathology" harmful to own self-esteem, son's self-confidence
3) dislikes funding long-term research, including genetic research
"...far future generations..."
4) would like research to provide immediate interventions
"providing immediate, deliverable employment, housing or medical services to current generations"

Are your take-aways similar? Do you wish to share your take-aways?

I would question the motives of what is included and what is not. The page seems rather focused on differentiating between normal and abnormal behavior - including "Red Flags for ASD."
It is my understanding the page is intended as a simplified checklist with illustrative examples (summarizing the DSM-5 diagnostic criteria). What words or tone would you find to better communicate this?

They mention John Elder Robison on the Asperger's page. What they do not mention is that he resigned his role at Autism Speaks in disgust: http://jerobison.blogspot.com/2013/11/i-resign-my-roles-at-autism-speaks.html
For an organization to publicly post that a member left in disgust may be seen by some as a legal/ethical issue.

From his post, what main points do you take away? This is what I see:

1) dislikes op-ed piece by Suzanne Wright, co-founder of Autism Speaks
2) acknowledges dichotomy: autism's gifts (this may be confused for "gifted", as in intellectually gifted, by some readers), autism's disability.
3) wants to keep the gifts while relieving the suffering and disability.
"...changing society to make it more accommodating for people who are different... developing therapies, treatments, and tools..."
4) one may choose to act in socially acceptable or socially unacceptable ways (possibly untrue for some who first may require direct teaching on social thinking)
5) some individuals on the ASD spectrum may not want help, some may want a little help, some may want a lot of help. When some ask for help, not enough is available.
6) link to Autism Speaks to Washington - A Call for Action, which was the final straw:
6.a) urgent need
6.b) 3 million affected
6.c) caregiver/support needs
6.c.1) daily in-home care needs
6.c.2) needs for larger number of medical professionals in multiple locations
6.c.3) educational advocacy support services needs
6.c.3) financial assistance needed

Are your take-aways similar? Do you wish to share your take-aways?