For what it's worth, the tester who tested DS8 (who presented with a lot of autism like traits when he was younger, such as rigidity, rituals, anxiety, low coordination, sleep issues, social awkwardness, some mild stimming behaviours, but NOT the central features ie mind blindness and lack of empathy) that many HG+ children appear to have autistic traits because of their extreme need for logic in their lives, which makes them try to apply that logic in all walks of life including emotions and social interactions.
As I understand it, it is not that the intuitive and emotional pathways for understanding social interaction are not accessible for them as they would be for autistic children, but that they prefer trying to make sense of the world using other pathways which they feel more comfortable with. If you look at it like that, it makes sense that they can learn how to apply these other pathways as they mature, which makes them look as if they had outgrown autism.
Experts on this board, I'd love to hear your take on my lay understanding of this!

Last edited by Tigerle; 07/27/15 01:14 AM. Reason: Hee hee, now autocorrect has "corrected" my edit, too!