DS7 was considered quite low tone as an infant and we went through a lot of testing and medical hysteria as a result. Nothing was ever found and after some time in PT, he made some big improvements and walked on schedule. He is now a fairly athletic child who nonetheless fatigues rather easily and is clumsier than typical with small motor tasks such as eating and buttoning/zipping. His handwriting is okay, not great, and slow. Art skills are average to low average. I find him hard to assess because DD was extremely advanced in handwriting and art.

I am having spend a little bit of time writing occasionally this summer because I know from experience that he is going to enter the gifted magnet he will attend next year behind his classmates in writing. Expectations are high for writing in the program. One thing I notice is that he lays his head on his desk or rests his head on his hands almost always whenever he writes. When asked, he says he it makes him tired to write. He says it's not his hands, but it's hard to sit up. I suspect low tone is still there and is interfering with his writing ability. Wondering if anyone has dealt with this. I think what he may need is some core strengthening exercises? The tricky thing is, he is doing well enough that he is unlikely to qualify for anything (he can write some nice sentences with lovely vocab that make sense, but it takes him a long time and he flops and slumps and looks physically ill at ease).