Me too! If he had a teacher that took a little satisfaction when she was able to "knock him down a peg". That is an abuse.

There are certain words we don't like to hear, like abuse. And perhaps disengage is one of those sensitive words too. Perhaps certain words have such a negative connotation that we avoid using them. And perhaps we don't like to hear other people using them either. If a word provokes a visceral feeling, that doesn't mean we should avoid using it. Actually, I think that's a good time to ask ourselves why. Perhaps it lies with different understandings of definition. I don't know.

But no quotes about it. Mr. Wiggly standing at the pencil sharpener, sharpening his pencil for 30 minutes at a time is Mr. Wiggly disengaging from his class. I'm sorry you had such a bad teacher.

Mr. Wiggly's teacher sounds a lot like C-dog's teacher last year. I actually dropped in and peered in the window unannounced to see what was going on. I saw a circle time story with C-dog sitting way in the back, far from the group with a look of pure pain and sadness. Practically a quivering lip. After school I asked the teacher in an upbeat way: "So how was C-dog today, she seems a little sad?"
"OH NO!, Not at all!" "She had a wonderful day and was very happy?".
She's either severely clueless or simply evil. Haven't figured out which.

In any event, call it what you wish, do with it what you may.

We aren't always going to understand our kids, they are their own little persons! I'm sure Dr. Ruf will be able to give some things to work with in order to help Mr. Wiggly.

Who knows, maybe I'll be taking C-Dog to see her in the future!