Just to chime in...

There are all sort of problems with her methodology and conclusions, and I see them and acknowledge them. That's all true.

With that said, this was far-and-away the most useful book for me in recognizing and dealing with my GT denial and figuring out how to educate our HG+ child.

The descriptions are great. And while I don't agree with all her generalizations about HG+ kids and what educational situations are appropriate for them, I did feel like she gave me permission to pull my child out of school for homeschooling, and that was permission that I needed at the time.

Knowing that *lots* of other people with kids like mine had a hard time working with the schools, and that an expert in the field said that not only was it okay to consider homeschooling, but it was actually something she considered to be necessary for a lot of these kids because the schools just couldn't manage them...well, that really helped me to find my confidence, at a time when I had none. I needed to know that I wasn't overreacting. She said I wasn't.

I think many HG+ kids do great in the schools, provided they get the necessary accomodations (whatever those happen to be for the particular child). But mine wasn't doing great, and I will forever be grateful to Ruf for showing me just how GT DS7 is and for giving me permission to educate him appropriately.

I don't own the book. A friend loaned it to me. I keep meaning to buy it--mostly to put my money where my mouth is--but I haven't gotten around to it. I'd say you should at least check it out of the library if you haven't read it yet. If it doesn't help you--and it certainly doesn't help everyone--then you're not out anything.

And BTW, I like what Dottie said: it's one tool among many. You can never have too many tools!

Kriston