THANK YOU so much for your replies!

Originally Posted by Portia
The 21 kids to 3 teachers ratio is not the same as a 7:1 ratio for a socially anxious child. It is 24 people in the room instead of 8. The adult/kid ratio is important to help with some of the behavior, but does not matter with social anxiety. I hope that makes sense.

It does! I hadn't really realized that, but he's been trying to tell me that in his way. We just found out about a small school that is 16 max in a class with 8 to 1 ratio. While I'd prefer even smaller, we are looking into it. PS NO CLUE how we'd pay for private.

Originally Posted by Portia
We put DS in a private transitional kindergarten (TK) and kindergarten (K). The public school here is very good, but it was very clear it was not going to be a good fit. It could not meet him academically. The class sizes were 23-27 students, which did not work for DS at that time. There were good things about the private school and not so good things about it. The teacher made a difference. Vision therapy made a big difference for us as well (but DS has vision processing issues). The bad things were that private was not open to more differentiation than the 1 grade level acceleration within the class. The math was never met and became a huge source of frustration by K. We had to afterschool to get learning needs met. We now homeschool, which has been the best solution for us.

The disparity between the emotional/social needs and the academic can be so acute, can't it! I completely understand the homeschool decision, and god knows, we might have to go that route, but really want to try and see how things go at first. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your experience!!