Originally Posted by Aufilia
Also worth noting that Washington state law now requires districts to identify and serve gifted students, so if your students can fulfill whatever tests the district has set up, they will have to place them in the gifted program. You just have to jump through the right testing hoops first.

While this is true, the district doesn't have to make those tests available immediately upon entry to the district, at least as I read the law. I think that having testing in January and July/August is sufficient, so it's a good idea to be aware of those dates if you're thinking of a move to the district. It's a big pain in the neck to get CogAT testing if you don't do it on the district schedule, if you can get the test at all. They are not flexible about substituting IQ testing as far as I know.

I hope they wouldn't unwind your DD's skip, greenlotus, but I wanted you to be on the lookout for the possibility. It would really suck to accept a job, plan a move, and then find out that they wanted her to do 5th grade over again so she could be with her agemates.