Isn't it usually as a result of a discrepency between the IQ and achievement test scores? A child with a PG IQ and average achievement scores, for example, is both GT and not living up to potential.

What testing does your school do to ID GT kids? Maybe that is the place to start if they will not accept outside testing. Do they do any IQ testing, or only achievement tests for GT program placement?

Another consideration: is the GT program worth the fight? What I mean is that if your child is only going to get, say, 30 minutes of pull-out program per week, and it will be "fluff" instead of actual challenge work, then maybe it's not worth banging your head against the wall to get him in.

Assuming you think the GT program will meet your son's needs, then I'd say that homeschooling is one potential solution for 2E kids. But if that's not what you want to do, then I vote to stick a pin in that and try to solve the school problem. Homeschooling isn't going anywhere. You can always go to that if DYS can't help you.

I'm glad you're here, and I hope we can help! Or at least make you feel better...

Last edited by Kriston; 07/31/08 02:22 PM. Reason: Crossposted with Dottie...

Kriston