Originally Posted by Kombre
I have similar questions. Our school is considering creating an accelerated math class starting in 3rd grade, but even after a lot of advocacy, I'm uncertain about whether it will actually happen for the coming year. So I have a meeting set up with the principal for next week and I am thinking of requesting that my twins go to a higher grade for math class every day. The problem is that I've been told that each grade has math class at a different time - the schedules are not aligned (currently). For those of you who have been in this situation, what did your child do when back in his/her regular classroom during the time slot for the base grade math class? I would like to have some suggestions in place. I hate to have them miss something else in their regular class but after three years of watching them learn next to nothing in math at school, we are desperate.

If you have a choice, I'd opt for the accelerated program rather than moving up one grade for the SSA. Our kids have been through SSA for several different subjects, and while it helped with providing a higher level of personal challenge, it was also frustrating because they were in a mix of abilities of students therefore they still had to deal with relatively slow pace of instruction, lots of repetitive teaching/homework, and being frustrated with the level of questions asked by other students in class. If your school ultimately puts together an accelerated program, presumably the pace and overall level of classroom discussion etc would be at a higher level than a gen ed classroom.

Best wishes,

polarbear