We've also had a great experience with subject accelerations. It's been the best option for my kids, and we've had a great way to meet their needs.

BUT. It does require a lot of attention from me. On an annual basis, I now start the conversation of how the schools are going to manage the next year in October. Seriously, 6 weeks into the school year, I mention the need to plan ahead for the following year. I spend time figuring out how each school building organizes its schedule so that I can help identify ways in which schedules can be made to work. It also helps to have a firm understanding of what you're willing to give up. DD has given up the "exploratory arts" program (health, art, home ec) and gym to make her subject accelerations work. DS has been going to music with the grade below him, and it looks like he will do that same for gym next year.

The other thing to be aware of is that you will need to work on executive function and self advocacy skills. He will be effectively switching classes, something that most kids don't encounter until middle school. For younger grades, there needs to be a plan for what he carries to his other class, and how assignments are communicated back home. It's also really useful to have a conversation up front about what happens when his regular classroom is on a field trip. Does he miss his accelerated class? How does he make up the material? How are the assignments communicated back? When the receiving class is on a field trip, where does he go and what does he do?

Last edited by geofizz; 05/22/15 01:00 PM.