Originally Posted by DeeDee
Slow but moving ahead. Well done, eco.
Thank you. Everyone here has helped so much (and been very patient with me).

Originally Posted by blackcat
Glad you are making progress. I wonder what she meant by her school comments...has she been having conversations with someone there?
Yes, I signed communication release (both directions). Neuropsych taught (and was a student) in this program long before pursuing doctorate. Her dissertation and fellowship, post-doc work...all in 2E. IOW, she has known the coordinator for a long time and they have a good rapport. I feel like this is a good thing, bc there is a lot of respect for our NP in the gifted ed community, here. Coordinator actually suggested her for NP (as did a few others I know well) and was very open with me about how it seemed important to have these social issues evaluated.

She has spoken with the coordinator and school counselor via phone about DS' situation, as well as collecting several formal surveys and also informal written info from the core (program) teachers.

She also said she'd make herself available (to a degree) for consultation regarding recommendations. Today was the first I'd heard about a possible in-service for teachers--my impression is that is the coordinator's idea.

The gist of the conversation seemed to be:
DS needs to learn how communicate without being rude.
DS needs to learn how to ask for and receive assistance.
School personnel need a reframe so they can conceptualize this as a disability/challenge and not willful behavior.
I need to seek outside help and form a team for social skills support and managing EF deficits.

It all seems reasonable to me. I've given DS the assignment to "begin thinking about" what his struggles include and how to address them. So far, his only answer is "teachers." So it may be like pulling teeth--but at least he's thinking.