Trying to think back to 5. My DS is also introverted and I'm trying to think back to what I did at 5. I believe I just left DS at his preschool/daycare for the summer. But we did these kinds of camps as DS got older. I never got a I hate the camp from him but we did try a number of things that didn't work. I usually made DS finish the week. And I learned what worked and learned to ask a lot of questions and be very careful what I selected. Plus I found that a lot of the camps were a lot of 'been there done that' and science camps were the same kit experiments done over & over. A lot of promise and less fun than advertised. Lots of time for the kids to just be goofy and less actual science being learned. But if he stayed at home there would be no one else to play with and all he want to do was computer games.

I guess what I would do is try a second day. Talk with the director about DS's experience the first day and see if some more attention from a counselor will make a difference. Maybe they can help him connect with another kid. Just having one friend might help. A lot of kids go through a rough time with this kind of transition. When I was in this situation I really struggled with how hard to push. I wanted DS to experience some social situations and sometimes if he could find a kindred soul they would work.