This topic is fascinating to me, because my DD7's spelling is pretty mixed in her writing -- takes me effort to figure out some of the phonetics. In her writing journal I see things like: cod=code, chare=chair, pinaplle=pineapple, riteing=writing, drity=dirty, threed=third, griaff=giraffe, bushus=bushes, oter=other, figer=figure, but she'll spell yesterday, different, and monster correct, or write lettuce on one page and letes on the next.

She's in grade 1 but her reading level tested is 2 yrs ahead and her oral reading speed is twice grade benchmark. She entered Pre-K knowing all her letter sounds and reading early emergent books, and had steady progression (minus a couple months of not enjoying reading, where we discovered she needed glasses). But she has struggled with new words when reading aloud, neglecting her decoding tools, saying a different word based on the first and last letters. The other day, she struggled with 'uniqueness' -- not easy by any means, but she was stuck on the 'ness' part, not just the beginning, even as I helped. I've just assumed it's age/grade appropriate, but would hope she didn't happen to miss some skills along the way.

Would her private psycho-educational assessment flag for further eval if something is off there? We didn't indicate developmental concerns when scheduling, so hers is just an educational eval.