I also found the Shaywitz book extremely helpful. My list from when DD was is first grade is similar to Michelle's (having to re-decode the same word multiple times on the same page, rhyming problems, avoiding people's names, hating reading out loud). I would add the following

*Spells the same common word differently multiple times in the same paragraph (lack of automaticity)

*When reading out loud will substitute a different word with the same meaning, i.e. the text says "autumn" but reader says "fall." (reading via anticipation)

*When reading out loud will substitute a different word with the same beginning and ending letters that is no where close to the same meaning, i.e. the text says "miserable" but reader says "marble." At this point DD's oral reading would completely fall apart. She had guessed wrong and you could watch things unravel.

*Spelling ability varies on a day-to-day basis. Often the teacher would give DD a list of spelling words, we would have DD study them. Her retention was sporadic. If she missed five words on a spelling test, the teacher would re-test her and DD would once again miss five words but they were five different words.

*Often skipped prepositions and articles when reading out loud making oral reading very choppy.

Even if your kid isn't dyslexic, you might find that guided oral reading will help your kid with reading out loud. You read a passage out loud and then your kid reads the same passage out loud. This way your kid can focus on decoding instead of having to worry about decoding and comprehension at the same time. You can read a full description of it in the Shaywitz book. I seem to recall that she had some exercises where you timed the kid and/or counted errors but I didn't do this part with my kid.