Originally Posted by dynasty
Thanks for the long response. It's good to hear that your DS has similar traits to mine (gets along well with peers, doesn't mind doing basic tasks along with the rest of the class). Since mine did so well at the Montessori, I have no doubt that he will do well in first grade. Though it is not a gifted school, it is one of the highest ranked elementary schools in my state (we use a 3 digit score called the API and this school is around 970). So one hope of mine (however misplaced) is that there will be enough kids in his school with his level of aptitude that they will be able to find ways to challenge him.

I hope your DS gets what he needs at the gifted school you're sending him to. Is it much of a drive?

dynasty, I hope and expect that your son will do well too, but be aware that a high API or even a high level of giftedness within the school doesn't guarantee they will be supportive or understanding. We discovered that a high API means a high level of conformity - an expectation that all students achieve at the exact same high level if properly taught. Their belief was so strong that they really couldn't comprehend that some kids were developmentally ready for concepts at a younger age. Friendly teachers would honestly forget what we said, or deny it outright, because they couldn't fit it into their worldview. Another local school has a lower API, with more kids with disabilities. Here there is more of a celebration of differences. We've been able to work with staff who really understand teaching the child instead of the curriculum.
Both my kids were social and popular until age 8 or so. At that point they stopped fitting in so well, and wanted friends more like themselves. I think it goes with the shift from playground to conversation based friendships.

You have good reason to be optimistic! You also have good reason to temper that with caution. Best of luck.