There was one child in my son's daycare class that made me suspect he is GT - and his mother is aware but in her case, she has done her own research to understand he son's behavior. He has been the only one that made DH and I think he is out there on the GT spectrum while there are others where they could go either way so we don't say anything because at this young age, it is not something I would comment in due to the fact that there does seem to be a hidden stigma against true GT vs snowflake syndrome.

From what little I have seen, it seems like some parents listen when things are not going well and their kid(s) crash and burn. In DS's School, one parent did not clue in even when the teacher was dropping hints the size of easter eggs until she noticed her mild mannered girl had enough and acted out. Another had a child eating clothes out of boredom.

Some of it I wonder is that parents fear the stigma of giftedness that exists today, children who may be smarter than themselves, or who will derail what they (parents) foreseen as their path through schools and beyond. I know it was hard to realize that what we had taken for granted was totally turned upside down... I don't know I would have taken it seriously from another parent as I did from our psychologist - we had a hard time realizing DS was firmly in GT range, not just very bright or maybe, just maybe, MG. Granted, DS is still young, but actions we have taken already and his teachers have validated the reportings by our psych so far.

Last edited by notnafnaf; 05/24/15 05:12 AM. Reason: Typo