I think it works reasonably well, though maybe they should be testing the top 10% on the NNAT with the cogat to ensure they don't miss many kids who would potentially score as gifted on the cogat. The counselor told me that they were thinking of changing the universal screening grade to third grade, which makes sense to me as I'm told these tests are more accurate in older children.

Kids can also test for GT as early as kindergarten by parent or teacher request. I think they are only given the cogat in those cases, not the NNAT. They also can only be evaluated for GT twice in elementary school. It looks like roughly half of kids in my son's school are identified before the second grade screen, maybe 40% more in the second grade and just a few more upper elementary.

I think one of the benefits of not administering the cogat to everyone is that you don't have an entire class of kids taking the test at the same time in the computer lab. When my son took it in the second grade, it was him and 3 other students. That has to be a lot less distracting.

Last edited by Appleton; 05/24/15 02:39 AM.