I have posted a few times about options and concerns regarding my now K-aged 5 year old PG DS and...yeah. I'm still majorly struggling. I'm not sure if this is a post for advice, commiseration, support or just to vent about the unfairness of it all. I had the fleeting thought that now that DS is a DYS ...maybe our advocate would have THE answer, but I'm swiftly learning that there just isn't one when it comes to these kids. Frankly, I don't get why we have to bend over backwards, trying to make it work, spending tons of money and/or traveling farther than we should have to...because public education can't deal with anything outside the upper norm. SIGH.

Anyway...I am battling between whether or not to send DS to The Grayson School (the highly gifted school that is opening this year), trying to engage in the public school battle (which we have done some of already, and came back more than a little disenchanted), or figure out some sort of homeschooling situation.

These are my concerns:

-Grayson would be perfect, but it's far and expensive. And they aren't licensed yet. They should be in June, though there is always the chance that they won't get licensing. If they don't we have to have a back-up. If they ARE licensed, we still might bite the bullet and send DS there, just because it seems SO right for him.

-My parents keep talking about fighting for public school - finding 'the right person' to make things happen...but I'm not sure there is anything they could do that would be satisfactory. Pull-out most of the day? He would mostly be isolated. Differentiate in the class...he would be doing vastly different stuff than his classmates which would make him upset, and isolate him in a different way. We can't accelerate him to the grades where he would need to be academically because of the social aspect and state law and whatever else. I'm not sure what a 'good' public school outcome would be, even if they WERE willing to work with us 100%. He would have age mates, but not intellectual peers. Which brings me to my last issues...

-Homeschooling is by FAR the best balance of curriculum vs logistics - we would be able to follow DS and not be limited by any educational walls, and wouldn't be paying an arm and a leg to get him what he needs (or having to drive great distances). I think that DH and I are well equipt to be in charge of his education - plus I work from home so it would definitely be doable. My problem is the social piece. Sure I could get him involved in extracurricular stuff, art class, playdates, so he is around friends. But again, no intellectual peers. Also, I LIKE having time to myself while DS is in school. It sounds selfish but I'm afraid I might go bananas. Add in his super intense 2 year old brother and...well...I just worry about my sanity, lol.

So I guess the question is - how important is having intellectual peers? Will he feel alone? Isolated? That alone is Grayson's biggest selling point. The curriculum is fantastic, sure, but having access to other kids that are even a remotely similar LOG to DS.... That's friggin amazing. But is it necessary? I keep feeling like it is. But maybe I am putting too much stock into it, at this young of an age. Maybe it matters more when you are a little older. DS isn't particularly self-aware, so maybe I am prioritizing it TOO much.

Also, how do homeschooling parents not go batty, seriously?

Lastly, how much 'extracurricular playing with other kids' is the right amount? I know it depends on the kid, but generally, how often do your homeschooled kids interact with other kids? I feel like I have no idea what I should try to arrange... a couple playdates a week? the park? actually classes? co-ops? free form vs structured activities with other kids? Is it important to have a regular group of kids that your kids interact with...and if so, how often? once a week? more than once a week? Less?

Like I said...I just feel lost right now. And apparently incredibly long-winded (sorry about that.) blush

Thanks in advance for any anythings you have to share.

Last edited by Marnie; 05/19/15 08:10 PM.