Rocksea, do you live by a university (is William & Mary commutable?)--sometimes they operate schools for children of faculty and have innovative programs. That might be a good option.

Last year my son was 4 and I sent him to preschool for socialization. It was half day and he enjoyed singing and stories, crafts, etc. When he'd get home, we'd have lunch and then do a little academics (reading/math)using workbooks. My son enjoyed it and it became routine. That way he progressed even though there was nothing available in school to "challenge" him academically. He skipped kindergarten and started out in 1st grade this year, which was great. At Christmas he switched to a multi-age class and can work at his own pace (now at 3rd grade reading and 4th grade math). My boys are all very average size (50%) so skipping makes them the smallest in the class--very noticeable in middle school when kids go through puberty and grow a foot in a year. My oldest son is much smaller than his classmates, including the girls, and I'm sure he has some issues with it. I witnessed him being teased by classmates and asked if it bothers him and he said "Yes". However, he didn't let it show to them and soon they stopped and moved on. I guess I feel it presents another challenge to a kid who needs to be challenged (if not academically, then socially, or a combo of the two). Everything comes so easily to him, that it's not a bad thing to have an obstacle or two. Plus, in another year or two, his height disparity won't be so noticeable. (I was amazed that he tried out for 8th grade basketball--what courage! The other boys were absolute giants and my heart raced about him getting trampled...but he didn't. He didn't make the team, as I probably knew he wouldn't, but he really thought he could--just incredible how "big" they see themselves).