Originally Posted by Bostonian
Students working long hours at jobs unrelated to their studies may have a high drop out rate, but I doubt this is true for students working part-time in a job related to their academic work. My eldest son likes math and programming. If he got a job writing code for a professor, that probably would not interfere with his classes. I've seen articles about CS majors dropping out to take jobs with tech companies. That may not be a bad thing, but the Tiger Mother would be more skeptical.

For freshmen and sophomores, there isn't much work related to their academic work, since they're mostly still doing general studies at this point.

Unless you want to be bored with the details, just trust me that if your DS was employed to write code for a big enterprise (public or private) project, it would be very easy to become a major commitment that interferes with his studies. These opportunities represent a far larger share of the pie than the chance to write code for a professor (who might be an adjunct being paid less than minimum wage).

Tech interns taking tech jobs are somewhat of a special case, because IT is one industry where the BS degree is still declared as required, but turns out to be optional in practice, if you can show an aptitude. This doesn't happen nearly as often in other fields, AFAIK. And it makes perfect sense to dump the degree program once you're offered a permanent job, because that was why you were pursuing the degree in the first place. So, while it's a fairly solid strategy in IT, I wouldn't recommend it to people pursuing other fields.