Originally Posted by stemfun
Originally Posted by Bostonian
Not addressing the OP anymore, but reading the following article, the idea of pursuing a sports scholarship with a time commitment that could interfere with one's studies seems odd to me, unless there is a real prospect of becoming a professional football or basketball player or other well-paid athlete. I won't expect my children to work during the school year unless they can find jobs that are related to their intended careers.

I couldn't agree more.

I could.

Assuming my child could devote the same number of hours each week, to reap the same amount of financial reward, I'd much prefer my DD spend the time outside of school work doing the sport she loves. School and related employment both involve the same kind of pressure, and doubling down on that, absent necessity, is a recipe for disaster. College sports are high stakes, so there's pressure there, but it's a different kind of pressure, and outside of competitions, there's the usual fitness and camaraderie benefits that work as an effective stress safety valve.

Working students drop out at a high rate for a reason.

College athletes who are experiencing academic issues get a very different kind of support from the institution than those who work.

Also, college scholarships are generally offered to incoming freshmen. Paid internships are usually not offered to them.

Last edited by Dude; 05/08/15 09:29 AM. Reason: Clarification/addition