Thanks bluemagic, sorry you are dealing with this too. Since DD is only in 4th grade most of the writing has to be done in school. She just ends up zoning out there and looks really unfocused. Then as teachers berate her for not doing the work, she gets more and more unfocused and anxious (but it doesn't necessarily show up as anxiety--it's not obvious). She ends up looking passive aggressive which makes everyone more frustrated with her because it looks like she's not even trying and doesn't care. I don't even know how to fix this situation with a 504. It's not like a regular classroom teacher is going to be able to give her a pep talk and coach her about what to write every time she needs to write something in class.

For the standardized tests (like WIAT and TOWL) she was given prompts like "write about a favorite X" or given a picture and she was supposed to write a story about it. She didn't write more than 3 sentences for either test. For the "write about a favorite..." question she wasn't even on-topic.

I just started her on a new medication and she wrote a couple paragraphs of a story without making a fuss about it. She also organized all of my tupperware. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but I'm praying that this med is doing something to the part of her brain that isn't working quite right. When she was most recently tested, she wasn't on stimulants and now she's on a really low dose.