I have a similar kid but the opposite problem with the school. He's in grade 3 and all they can focus on is that his writing is slow and up until recently below grade. This year he finally managed to approach grade level but they are still freaking out because it doesn't come close to match his ability. We had to pay for our second full psych assessment out of pocket (the board's waiting list is years long) because the first one in grade 1 (that we also had to pay for) couldn't confirm an LD. He now has an official LD diagnosis and the school is going to provide a laptop and software.

That is all good and I'm glad they are on top of things but the downside is that they have used it as an excuse to not provide gifted services for him. It doesn't help that DS isn't exactly a cooperative kid sometimes and the school refuses to do any gifted stuff until he behaves better (which honestly will be a challenge until they give him something at his level). This year I finally managed to get them to differentiate a bit in math but it is still far from what he could or wants to do. The teacher just can't see it because she is so focused on the fact that he doesn't write out his solutions in 15 steps which goes back to the writing LD.

Anyway, that isn't really any help but you aren't alone in your 2e frustration.