Originally Posted by aeh
One of my sibs went through a phase like this, too, where the answer to any non-factual question was "I don't know". In retrospect, I think it was the awareness that it is impossible to have all of the information about any one situation, such that one can definitively make the "right" decision. I seem to recall that it stopped around the time college started...I wonder if moving on to an instructional setting that acknowledged uncertainty helped.

I do think that it is a good idea to emphasize that, most of the time, we are choosing from two good options.

And for myself, you should see me trying to pick something from a menu...

Yup.

Of the three gifties in my house, DD and I are the ones that do this.

Could be that it is LOG, could be it's a major aversion to black-and-white thinking, could be that it's perfectionism, and it's possible that it's just a personality quirk.

I will say that this kind of over-analysis tends to be a really detrimental feature in many educational settings which use T/F, cloze, or multiple-choice assessments. Because the more you know, the harder the questions get, see...

In the case of little insignificant things, though, DD and I neither one have any trouble at all-- it's only when we are MISSING information necessary to make a larger decision that has definite consequences that we begin to have trouble.

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.