My 7 year old has been unable to make up his mind for the past 2 years. I am not even talking about big decisions. The small ones - like shoes or crocs to go outside, shower or bath, sandwich or pizza for lunch etc. etc. Usually, after I ask these questions, there is no reply. After a while I ask him to be respectful and answer my question and he replies with "I am thinking about it". If I asked him something else that was more important - like do you want to sign up for robotics camp or art camp for summer, that would probably take him a month to decide. He was not like that until he turned 5 years old. He was quick and precise and knew what he wanted. But, the older he gets, the more difficult it is for him to make choices. He is very good at answering quizzes in school, but it he gets a problem that requires him to analyze data, it takes him forever to figure out what conclusions he wants to make.
Frankly, it is annoying for me, especially for the really small stuff, though I try to prod him along gently by reminding him of the possibilities - e.g. since he ate a sandwich yesterday for lunch, maybe he could try something else for lunch today etc.
Is this a gifted trait? Or is it just phase at this age? TIA.