Hi Cym:
Yes, I have a nine year old girl, currently in 4th grade. While she is the top student in her class, her test scores are not even remotely close to my son's .

Ok, I have been researching different summer programs. RMTS is really slow in posting their information and their web site is so outdated, don't you think? Duke looks really good, plus they have two different programs so my son would qualify to attend the one for top scorers. I also really like the selection they are offering. But.... there are lots of buts....

Last summer because of RMTS and our six week long trip to Europe, my son was not able to attend scout camp with his troop, which he really needs / wants to do this summer. He also missed the violin camp (www.intermountainsuzukistringinstitute.com) that gives him motivation for the entire year of violin studies (and the added bonus is that my daughter attends as well). In our little city there is also an excellent Astro Camp (www.astrocamputah.org) which he attended two summers ago and loved and really wants to do again.
And as I have indicated Uof U will offer some summer classes for
advanced learners.

So I am thinking about skipping gifted institute this summer. Next year he will be done with 7th grade and therefore all of the options will be open to him, based even on his 6th grade SAT scores. While my son has no anxiety about going to an away camp, I think that next year he will be even more mature and more responsible (when he attended Astro Camp after completing 4th grade, he came back home after 5 days with a backpack full of clean t-shirts, underwear and socks - he did shower but did not see the need to change his clothes :-)So this is what I am thinking as of today, which might change in a few days of course.
There are so many different options for a camp experience. When he is in 9th grade I will probably encourage him to apply to PROMYS, which is 6 weeks long ! Which won't leave much time for a family camping trip, a must each summer. This year we are planning to go back to the Canadian Rockies - Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise.
Ania