Hi Ania,

I think entering the other talent searches might be a waste of money. The thing to know is that their summer programs are open to your son as well because his scores qualify. This gives you/him many, many choices (Johns Hopkins offers summer classes at many different campuses, including Hawaii; Duke TIP also offers many campuses, including Ireland). Will your son be 12 this summer? I think THINK and Johns Hopkins both require that as the minimum age.

I've been trying to persuade my son to try Duke's summer institute. My husband and I both went there as undergrads and I thought it would be a new experience for my son. My son says he wants to go back to RMTS this summer and try Duke another time. The other programs are bigger (each campus is bigger than the one session offered by RMTS). I want each kid to try something a little out of their comfort zone each summer (kind of a personal challenge). Last year it was RMTS (now RMTS is comfortable) and this summer he'll try Outward Bound.

You're lucky to live near a university that offers programs for gifted students. My community doesn't offer that and even if it did, I think I'd want a more regional draw...I want him to meet people from all over the world, or at least the west.

Do you have other kids?

Cym