Excellent advice above. I would echo the concerns about transition to high school and post-secondary. Quite often, I see students who are raised as initial referrals in ninth grade, and then when I start digging, I find out that they were on IEPs or 504s all through elementary, but were dismissed in 7th grade "because they were doing so well". They made it through 8th grade, often because they were in the same schools, where teachers already knew (or heard from colleagues) what their accommodations were, and essentially kept them on informal support. Then they came to us and imploded. Not saying this will happen to him, but I've seen it enough times that I would be very cautious about this. One of my big regrets among specific professional decisions I've made in the past was recommending dismissal for a kid in 8th grade, who then had a very difficult ninth grade year (resulting in being placed back on a plan).

If he is using any of his accommodations, then he clearly needs his 504 accommodation plan. And not true in most states (maybe different in yours) that he has to keyboard everything to qualify for typed responses on state testing. Does he use it for extended writing? That's usually enough to say it's a routine classroom accommodation. There may also be accommodations that he should have that he isn't getting, that might make a difference between B+ and A. For example, for a dysgraphic, I would typically recommend supplementary oral assessment, and offering alternative assignments for extended writing projects (especially when writing is not the instructional focus). He probably would benefit from spellcheck and thesaurus also. The latter in particular because, with his reading level, he probably has a much larger oral vocabulary than he is able to locate in a spelling dictionary, and, if he is like the dyslexics/dysgraphics I usually see at the secondary level, likely "dumbs down" his written vocabulary to limit the spelling damage. The thesaurus is another way for him to locate the correct spelling of words that he knows how to use, so that his written work more closely approximates his actual language abilities. Even if his writing looks fine, it still may be a marked underrepresentation of his actual ability to express himself using language.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...