I would keep it. I sounds like he does use some of his accommodations. What is the reason to get rid of it? He may not need it in junior high, but as polarbear said High School is another battle all together. I only just got DS16 a 504 this past fall in 10th grade. He was able to cope without accommodations until this year but the extra demands on High School have made it necessary.

Is school pushing you to drop the 504? The High School pushed for us to drop DD's IEP because she wasn't really using it. But when I pushed and asked them to test her before I'd agree. The underlying LD was still there. School saw my DD as very functional (turning in assignments) therefore not in need of services but she was still struggling in ways that many other kids weren't and even though we didn't use it very often by H.S. It was still VERY helpful to have. One thing the 504/IEP allowed that I've found useful was preferential teacher picks for courses. While this hasn't always worked out, it has helped my kids from getting the worst of the teachers.