Hi all,

It has been a while since I last posted - we got caught up in life (funny how that happens) - also, I think that after we got DS tested, and all of our suspicions were confirmed (and then some), we didn't need to poke around here for answers so much, you know?

Anyway, I'm writing now beacuse I wanted some opinions. DS just turned 5, and thus is K aged. But we don't know what to do with him. We have looked at a million private schools (good schools, really great schools, just not necessarily for a PG kid.) we are still going to go to K registration and talk to them - see if they are willing to do anything to work with us. AND there is also a new gifted school opening (The Grayson School, outside of Philly...has anyone heard of it?) Anyway, it looks amazing. They get giftedness. BUT it's expensive and like, an hour drive away. Which is a huge pain, frankly. SOooo...my long-winded question is...is it worth it? The cost, the drive, for a 5 year old's education? Or do we make do with homeschooling or public K (or 1st, as they are apparently willing to bump up one grade but no more than that) or some other in-between measure? I would rather NOT just homeschool, as DS is very social and thrives off interaction with peers. But I also don't want him bored out of his head in public school. I mean, we are easily doing 5-7th grade with him at home now. reading is not so high...maybe 3rd? and science is way up there too...current passion is cardiac physiology. What do you DO with a kid like this? Why aren't there more gifted schools?? UGH. I just want there to be a right answer. It's stressing me out. I want him to be happy and challenged and with his peers (both social and intellectual). BUT I don't want to break the bank/go out of our minds driving hours a day etc etc. Any help/insight would be great.

M

P.S. we applied to DYS a few days ago (hopefully our nominator will get their form in before the 31st so we can get potentially get our hands on some seriously helpful resources!)