I think my comment is a bit tangential to your idea Questions, because I think your focus is on academic achievement, not necessary ability.

Yes, Jool, sort of. I was saying that smart doesn't matter b/c the output can't be seen. Most people say my kid is smart or so and so's kid is smart - but not so smart that they need something different. And adults may say, this is so and so and he's really smart. But it's still a generic smart. There isn't the LOG distinction, the way there are club teams, jv teams and varsity teams, and then everyone else who plays sports on their own time to "be like Mike."

Parents want the different levels of teams so that their children have the opportunity to be a part of a team, no matter their level of sports abilities. But sports are extracurricular, and most people don't object to the fact that a team only has 20 spots on varsity or whatever. Schoolday actitivies are different, however, and I don't blame parents for coveting what others may be getting in "special" classes (not that we have access to any at this point, LOL).

So after going around in circles, I'd say in answer to:

How do you get around the idea that some people see special programs for smart kids the same way as they might see special programs for good-looking kids?

The problem is that those parents don't see the distinction - why do those kids need something more than my kids are getting? Those kids look just like my kids and your kids (oops, not in this audience, but, in the generic sense), they're in class doing the same work, and they're making mistakes and learning along with everyone else. Because there's no output (like weekly games with media coverage) that can be seen (no eyeballs as they say in the tv business), their plight is unknown. Sort of like what I see in my son's taekowndo class. When they run their laps around the gym, they line up by belt, with the most advanced belt in front down to the lowest in back. They are not allowed to pass. You can see the real runners jogging in place, wanting to move forward, but being held back by their place in line. They only have to run a few laps. But if it was all day long, it would be much too frustrating.

And I'd say that the reason parents see it as elitist is because their kids aren't being taken care of well enough and there is not enough public knowledge about what these kids need. As for good-looking kids - well, I suppose if those traits are relevant, there are special programs for them, too (e.g., modeling, acting, cheerleading?).

I guess it's all about the marketing and educating the public. But in the end, it's all about the money - if the schools had the funds and every child was accommodated, I don't think the special programs would be begrudged.

And speaking about educational tragedies - there are those big time college sports programs...