polarbear, DD must be inept then because I had to ask Dh for help in terms of printing out game cards, and images that were the right size for the poster board, as well as a map that was the right size. I suppose she could have handwritten/drawn everything but it would have taken hours, involving much drama, and the end result would have been laughable--not something fit to be presented to a class. DD has impaired executive functioning ability, but even for "normal" kids, I think planning/designing a board game about a specific topic, including the relevant information that the teacher wanted included, would be difficult.

I do think parents are helping too much, because the assignments are too hard, but the teachers don't realize that, and they actually do think some kids are doing things on their own when they are really not. They actually have rubrics, for instance if a kid writes a research paper and has more than 2 grammatical/spelling errors, they get marked down. Really? For fourth grade? So my question is, where should the line be drawn...when is it Ok to assist, correct, whatever...esp. if it's something that the kid can't figure out on their own, they are expressing frustration, refusing to do the assignment, etc. The teacher has these harsh criteria, but now she's saying that it's Ok if they get an F but then they can re-do or fix the assignment and get an A or a B. I don't understand that logic. Why not just make the assignments easy enough that kids can do them correctly (on their own) the first time?