I personally don't help my kids outside of their 2e challenges, and they haven't ever asked for my help either. If they have questions about how to *do* a problem, for instance a math computation or a grammar question or essay construction question, I'll answer it - but I've never typed a report for them or helped them complete an assignment just because it was a big project type assignment. FWIW one of my kids is entirely nt, one is dysgraphic and has an expressive language challenge, and one is dyslexic. I have typed countless times for my dysgraphic ds, but that's an accommodation for a kid who has significant deficits in fine motor skills. I proofread essays for my dyslexic child because she is still working on grammar, spelling, etc but again I see that as help required for learning for a child who has a significant challenge. I proofread essays for my nt child because she loves to write and wants help with the finer points of grammar/etc - things beyond what she is getting in school at this point. I used to help the same dd with math when she was younger and completely lost re concepts, but with help she got over her math frustration and is now doing her math assignments completely independently. So in summary, I help where our kids need instructional help or support in the form of 2e accommodations, but that's it. They have always written or typed their own reports, prepared their own posters, done the rest.

We've had an assortment of teachers re how much and what type of homework is assigned. My dds had assignments as large as 12-paragraph essays in 4th grade but my ds never did. Keyboarding/typing was built in as an expectation at school, but our kids were also given opportunities to learn/practice at school. I've also seen a wide variety of parent-help among classmates - there have definitely been parents who did a lot of the project/prep/typing work for some of the kids in each kids' class... and it was pretty obvious, to my kids and to me. On the flip side, I don't feel that my kids were ever marked down because they did their projects without that type of parent support.

polarbear