One thing to keep in mind about university is that it's your DS will need to be doing his own advocating once he is 18. My DD20 started undergraduate at 17 yrs 11 months and because of that the disability coordinator was willing to talk to me and take the paperwork to qualify her for help but only because she was still 17. It's extra help that she mostly doesn't take but she does turn to it for writing intensive courses. I mostly giving her guidance from behind my cell phone. How is that paper doing? Have you made an appointment with a tutor yet? One thing I have gotten through her head is that she CAN'T act like some college student who wait for the last 24 hours to write a paper.

If I were in your shoes I would seriously consider having him take a "light" or part time load, particularly in Engineering. This will make college longer but quite likely make it more successful. This is probably something he needs to talk about with the Disability Services at his school. Upper Division Engineering classes are a lot of work and taking too many of these courses during the same semester could be a disaster. My DD doesn't take a light load but I haven't encouraged her to get a job or be involved in any time consuming extra curricular. (I do have a reason behind this suggestion but it's not my story to tell.)

Is he continuing to self study Calculus? For any type of Engineering he will need to have a good grasp of Calculus. Having him self-study the subject this year and then take a class next year might be a good idea. Or take a class this summer & plan to have him repeat it when he gets to college. College math classes are fast paced.

Last edited by bluemagic; 02/13/15 02:51 PM.