Thanks for the input so far.

I'm fine with DS playing with religious kids. I just got an impression of strong intolerance from our experience at the "open to all" homeschool park day. We are going back this Friday. (Alternating that with HS ice skating at local rink on Fridays. Everyone there was in a religious HS group last week, though DS did make friends with one boy just a year younger. I gave his mom my contact info, but she didn't share hers. So it goes.)

We're working hard to teach DS the right responses to evangelizing. His logical perspective on things makes it hard for him to grasp. Basically, it's ok for them to share their ideas but you need to say nothing about our family's view. The double standard is hard for his logical mind to grasp, but it's not the place or topic for his arguing skills.

I haven't found any gifted homeschool groups here. There was one, but it seems to have been inactive since 2011.

We've tried a secular homeschool group on the far side of the city, but it was right before guitar lessons and got him too amped for those. Also, someone decided to make one park day into a chicken pox party, unannounced. Though that was condemned by the group's organizers on Facebook, it killed my desire to socialize there.

I've thought of starting my own group, but teaching DS and continuing my own business is nearly all-consuming right now.

We do have 1 same-age HS'ed buddy, thankfully. We're going to the zoo today.