We're a family of atheists living deep in the Bible Belt. When we were homeschooling our DD9, we found a family that lived just up the street who were homeschooling their children for evangelical reasons, including one girl our DD's age. We arranged for them to have "recess" together every day as a regular feature of their homeschooling. Over the years, DD has gone to church with this family on occasion, and attended the local religious summer camp. She even has her own Bible.

We sent her with this guidance:

1) Don't argue with people about religion. You don't know anything about it other than what your parents have told you. The other kids are in the same boat... they only know what their parents (and religious leaders) have told them. Neither of you really know anything on your own, so arguing is pointless. This is complicated stuff, and you have A LOT to learn.

2) Don't poke fun at anyone's beliefs. They are a part of a person's identity, so making fun of their beliefs is making fun of them.

3) You can ask questions, as long as you're respectful. If their answers are too confusing, or you find them to be just outrageous, save that up for discussion at home.

4) I am always available to explain why some people believe what they believe, as well as why we do not.

Given that both DW and I have experience from both ends of the belief spectrum, and that I'm somewhat of an amateur biblical and historical scholar, this has been a very effective strategy for teaching DD religious tolerance (a social necessity here), understanding of others' perspectives, while also teaching a great deal of scholarship in this area, considering her age.

Apart from the religious divide, this child and DD have a great many common interests, they're great playmates, and consider each other to be the best of friends. Even now that DD is back in public school, they get together as often as possible.

So the lesson here is, homeschooled evangelical children can still be good for your child, so don't close the door to them entirely.

From what we can tell, this child isn't gifted, so she's not a true peer for my DD in that way, either. All that really matters is they find enough things that they enjoy playing together. They have enough compatible interests and the same sense of humor, so whenever they're together, they have fun.