Originally Posted by Tigerle
Question: *could* it be designed to work for the upper end as well. In theory, if someone took an interest in actually designing an instrument to determine appropriate educational fit? Could an exceptionally competent school psychologist do it as a research project on the side or would it need a full research unit at a university? Just wondering...
Do we need new instruments?

We already have the SAT and the ACT, and I think young students who score like college-ready high school students are ready for the same college-level classes if they have the same background in the subject. So my prediction is that conditional on the SAT M+V score and the score on the relevant SAT subject test, performance in AP class and exam has little dependence on age. So a 10yo with a 700 SAT verbal score and a 600 score on the SAT U.S. History subject test will do as well on the AP U.S. History exam after taking a course as a 16yo with the same scores will. I'd like to see a test of this theory. When I read Julian Stanley's accounts of fast-paced science and calculus courses, taken by young students screened by SAT scores, it appeared that younger students often did the best.

If a 10yo can do academically what a 16yo can do, I'd argue that makes the 10yo "as smart as" the 16yo.