Originally Posted by squishys
My DS8 read at two, is 3-6 years ahead in more than one subject, and is MG according to the SB5 and apparently not gifted according to the WISC IV.

This is exactly what I am curious about, this is not logical to me, trying to figure out what makes this possible. A child who teaches themself or is extremely motivated to learn to read at age 2 is an outlier anecdotally, so how could that not be shown in the numbers?

A two year old's brain that can read is not the same as an average or even above average two year old, right?

I do see how reading is different than math, though, great points, that makes sense.

My son will be tested next month, I am not applying for the DYS anytime soon if he does quailify in numbers (he's 4 in Feb.), I was just trying to wrap my head around how some children can perform 2-3 grade levels ahead and it not reflect in the I.Q. scores.

But with other factors, like motivation, the education culture of the home, access to materials/education/exposure, I guess I can see how a child can perform that far ahead but still be within the average or slightly above average range of I.Q.

I just thought it was curious how the DYS stated the 2-3 grade levels ahead in the criteria.

Also, I didn't read that they needed to be globally performing 2-3 levels ahead. I think it's great that they recognize that a child who performs at level in most subjects but is gifted in one subject, that child still needs the support and opportunity to grow in that subject.

I'm a former Special Education Teacher and I would administer the academic achievement tests, it's been a few years and now that I have my sons, I reflect on my experience and knowledge. When I performed these tests, I really did not completely understand them, I know that now, researching these topics. In general, many of my students had a higher I.Q. and low performing scores, so I am trying to wrap my head around the opposite.

Last edited by GGG; 12/21/14 10:16 AM.