Originally Posted by GGG
how some children can perform 2-3 grade levels ahead and it not reflect in the I.Q. scores.
In these instances, while the overall IQ may not indicate giftedness, most likely there is at least one high subtest score.

But with other factors, like motivation, the education culture of the home, access to materials/education/exposure, I guess I can see how a child can perform that far ahead but still b within the average or slightly above average range of I.Q.
Yes, many families sacrifice greatly to provide more opportunity for their children, than what the parents had themselves in their youth. Additionally I'm familiar with several autodidacts who frequented the public library and learned, unguided, in their areas of greatest interest and passion. Talk about motivation!

On the downside, there is hothousing and tiger-parenting.

Also, I didn't read that they needed to be globally performing 2-3 levels ahead. I think it's great that they recognize that a child who performs at level in most subjects but is gifted in one subject, that child still needs the support and opportunity to grow in that subject.
There are myriad sources for parents to tap into for information and self-education in supporting their gifted children. DYS is for the extreme outliers.