We are still in the early stages of all of this, as my son is only 4...so seeking some insight from those with older kids who have been in our shoes possibly...the more I learn about giftedness and also aspergers, the more I feel my son may be twice exceptional. I could go on an on about the quirks/behavior difficulties we are dealing with. His memory is incredible and he thinks differently than your average 4 year old...The behavior issues are incredibly stressful for our entire family. He seems highly intelligent, but also has some extreme sensory needs and is very defensive/angry a lot. When he is in his realm though, he exceeds all of his peers in problem solving, logic and reasoning skills. A new doctor who specializes in kids on the spectrum did feel that after observing him that he does have some definite aspergers traits...looping conversations around to always be things he is interested in..perseverating on particular topics etc. He is incredibly hyperactive also, VERY impulsive...defensive...stubborn. The doctor also saw some traits of ADHD as well...Just incredibly trying for us as parents. The doctor is sending us for a psych consult in the next couple of months to hopefully get a diagnosis so we can better understand him. I want them to do IQ and giftedness testing also but not sure if they will do that right away or have to send him somewhere else after...

I guess my questions are for those with children with aspergers, and/or ADHD and giftedness , how did they present as 4 year olds? Any tips or things that helped manage the meltdowns, emotional highs and lows, impulsive behavior/sensory seeking behavior? How were you able to bring out the gifted side that you know is there? I feel that aspergers (if he indeed has it) is getting in the way of his giftedness...he gets stuck. How are these children doing later on into elementary school and beyond? He has social difficulties already...do they do ok academically? Can they function in life? It's so hard to imagine him being a rational well behaved child one day...just hoping we get there. Obviously some of this behavior may be typical 4 year old behavior but I feel he takes everything to the extreme.