Thanks for the replies - I did type an earlier reply but it didn't work so I'll try again now...

aeh - I was surprised that the VCI wasn't lower and the PRI wasn't higher. She really does love numbers, she told me that "For me, numbers are like talking". If she's had a bad day online maths or puzzles really cheer her up! I can see how the WMI impacts on her spelling (she's spelling like an 11 1/2 year old, according to the school) and probably on her knowledge base because she's good at retaining what she's read.

Blackcat - an absolutely brilliant friend of mine at med school suffered a mild hypoxic brain injury as a student. He remained as brilliant as ever to her fellow students but did complain that his ability to do maths quickly in his head was impaired.

zen - I had a good think about your post during my run and she does have the ability to do well in maths, esp as she is a motivated learner who works hard. I also agree with the "filters of our own abilities" comment - I was clever at school and ultimately chose a science based degree but my strength was English. DD8 is like I was so I may well be viewing DD6's numerical talent as something more unusual than it really is.

Loy58 - I agree it's good to know that the VCI isn't actually a weakness and I won't downgrade my expectations in that area after all!

Ndw - both personally and professionally all the cofnitive assessments have come with fixed scores. Maybe there's inter state variance?

My meeting today seemed to go well - her teacher this year gushed about her motivation and achievenents and the principal seemed relieved that my demands were only for a particular teacher for next year (she's a phenomenal teacher though)
Cammon - thanks for the perspective! Trying to make sense of the numbers isn't that productive really.