I was curious how many people on here commute to get their child(ren) to a school? We have pulled our DS5 out of the preschool Montessori he has been attending for the past almost 4 years (we should have pulled him a long time ago..another long story) and have been working with him at home. He qualifies for the Florida McKay Scholarship for the Fall(for children with an IEP and the belief that public school will not meet their needs, Florida basically takes what the state would have spent on that child in the public classroom and gives the money to the parents so that we can enroll him in a private school)...we know that Montessori fits our little guy perfectly and there are no Montessori McKay approved schools in our county. We found one that is 38 miles away in the neighboring county and took about 40 minutes to drive to - my son and I visited on Friday and he really liked it - it is smaller and despite the fact it doesn't look like a "school" (it is in a home that has been completed converted into a school) and might not be the "prettiest" place from the outside - the school has every imaginable montessori tool and the teacher (owner) really knows her stuff - she and my son connected right off from the start which really says a lot. Her true love is Math and Science as is my son's. They currently go up through 3rd grade and have plans to begin an addition to go up through 6th.
Does anyone else commute to get their child to a good fit school? With the McKay completely paying for his yearly tuition and some left over to be able to hire someone to come in and do OT and Speech once a week at the school with him the only issue is the gas - but we are thinking that we would just be using the money we would have spent on tuition and that will go for gas. The only downside is that I have been running a fairly successfull business from home where I design Literacy kits for early childhood teachers and lately it has really taken off...with the commute it would not make sense for me to drive him almost 45 minutes and then turn around and drive home 45 minutes and then have to drive back out to get him....so was considering either offering my services at the school to just volunteer all day long or looking at possibly finding a storage unit place near to his school that has a/c, electrical hook up and maybe setting up a temporary office and working from there so as not to travel back home....would love to hear opinions/comments. We really have a good feeling about this school and would be willing to commute.