I think teachers would most likely see "behaviors" as indicative that the child would not do well in an advanced program and would be less likely to recommend them, while recommending the perfect high-achievers. I think what is happening here is that the achievement scores (which are about the same for boys and girls) trigger a CogAT permission form to be sent home, most parents agree to the testing, and more boys are identified as gifted because kids have to score 98th percentile on it. If they don't go to the highly gifted program, (or opt out) they are at least identified and put into a cluster.

I have been in DD's class and all I can say is WOW...these kids do NOT seem like perfect high achievers. I felt like I was in a second grade classroom (in terms of behaviors), not fourth. There are some very obvious 2e kids and a lot of the kids in general are very excitable or disorganized/unmotivated. After seeing that, no wonder none of the teachers seem too concerned about my 2e DD. So it seems like at least kids are not being excluded for not being "perfect" which is good. Kids do not really need teacher approval or good grades to get in, just the ability and achievement scores.