I just observed this today with my DS 3.5 at his preschool. He has always been a talker and enjoys conversing with adults. I always assumed he was an extrovert and I mean a serious social butterfly because he always wanted to interact with every human he came across since he was an infant. But now, at preschool everytime I get a chance to observe (today they had an indoor "pumpkin patch" the parents came in to take pictures and we walked into their normal activities), the group is in one place and he's off to the side doing something else. My heart kinda sinks when I see this. I have seen him try to physically pull other children into his interested activity but my husband and I and the teachers have heavily worked with him on not physically forcing kids to play with him and so now what I am seeing is resign. He's decided he'll do it alone. I haven't processed whether or not this is a good thing, I know it hurts a little for me to see, yet I also know this is just snapshot of his development and may not indicate any real ongoing trait necessarily.