I have read about this topic before and thought it seemed like a good problem to have. Now that my older child is approaching HS, I see where this can become an obstacle.

I have begun to wonder if my kids, like many we know are overscheduled and too busy. They are interested in so many different activities that I wonder if they should become more focused in their pursuit of honing their skills.

My daughter is in 7th grade. She is involved in speech club, girl scouts and peer tutoring. She plays the flute for band and takes piano lessons. She swims twice a week and wants to participate in school track again this spring. Throw in periodic school projects (currently science fair) and community theater with her moderately demanding courses where she maintains an A average and I wonder if she is too �well rounded�.

Take swimming for instance, she is very good. Her Y instructors tell me that she should be on a year round competitive swim team rather than the pre-competitive class she is in. This would require a much greater time (and money) commitment and would also be inconvenient as far a location. What do we give up to accommodate her talent development in this area? She isn�t great at track, but she enjoys participating with her school friends. That would be my answer, but I don�t think she will want to give it up. If she hopes to make the high school swim team (huge school � very competitive to make any group) she will need to focus her efforts!

She is one of two kids whose talents are somewhat parallel, but that luxury is beginning to dissolve. It�s much easier when they need to be driven to the same location (I know some of you have 3 or more children).

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.