Originally Posted by P92
Thanks for all the responses, I'm definitely going to try to see a developmental optometrist.

AEH- That's the weird thing, mathematics is actually one of my strengths and I was in gifted math throughout grade school, and it was highest score on my SAT's and what not. I did do a bit worse in Geometry than the other skills though. Verbally speaking, I have impairments in word-retrieval skills (2nd percentile on the TAWF test) which also shows up in my Verbal Comprehension score on the WAIS (Vocabulary is lower than all the other skills).

I took other tests and there was some weakness in my long-term visual memory (although working memory was strong). I did very poor on the Hooper Visual-Organization Test. Visually speaking, I have some mild problems with depth perception and it took me a few tries to get my driver's license as a teen, but nothing too serious.

I've researched NVLD extensively and a lot of the quirks associated with it do fit me, but I don't really have the social skills issues. I get humor, sarcasm, and can read body language and facial expressions fine. I am a bit awkward, but mostly because I don't pay attention and always zone out. That being said, I do have a lot of NLD traits- depth perception, executive function deficits, and some of the reading patterns. As a toddler my developmental motor skills were kinda delayed, but I invented my own alphabet to spell words and could read by age 4. I also loved collecting facts and have a really good rote memory.
Good to hear your profile hasn't gotten in the way too much for you. You have excellent abstract reasoning, so it makes sense that all the other aspects of mathematics, except geometry, should have come easily to you. I do think what you've described continues to be consistent with perceptual challenges. It will be interesting to see what the developmental optometrist has to say.

Long-term visual memory may be related to your word retrieval difficulties, as many people store word patterns visually. What is your memory like? When you say you have a good rote memory, are you actually remembering by rote (as in able to recall meaningless strings of letters and numbers), or do you make novel associations to create meaningful connections between item sets to be memorized? Is your visual recognition memory better than your retrieval memory, or similar?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...