Originally Posted by bluemagic
Don't have much advice, but I feel for you. My son has always been slow to do work he considers boring. But my DS15 is often also slow to do work, particularly if it's boring work. Second grade was quite difficult since the teacher would only give him the more advanced work when he completed the normal work first. Frustrating because why should a kid have to fill out 25 addition problems that he knows in order to get more advanced math. It's one of the reasons we put my son in the local gifted program in 4th. Luckily DS has a much better teacher in 3rd grade.

We finally had DS tested this past summer. Turns while he scores quite high of most skills, he has average working memory and processing speed. These obviously show him down. I agree with most of the others, the school here is confusing "gifted" kids with those who are high performing and are quick to do the work.

Good luck finding a solution.

DS8, now in third grade, suffered through second grade in a different school last year. He was made to feel as if he was bad in math because he has difficulty with Timed Math Facts sheets due to a very low processing speed (21%). He was miserable, hated school and did not want to attend. This is a boy who is extremely social, loves to learn and loves school as a combination of both.

To reengage his love of learning over the summer, he worked on the Stanford EPGY K-7 math at a 4.5 grade level AND the Stanford EPGY Beginning Algebra (set at an 8.0 grade level). He didn't finish either but that was due to the time limitations we set rather than his intellectual capacity. He was doing a lot of other things and it was just a time-filler. Now he is in an HG classroom with other HG kids. This year, he is RElearning the value of neat work (which his second grade teacher totally let slide), organizational skills, and how not to talk during lessons; all things he knew in FIRST grade but regressed in second due to the environment. We're not pushing for grade acceleration because of those regressions but also because DS8 prefers to be with age-peers who are also intellectual peers.

We just received his beginning of the year MAP results and during our discussion, I was struck by DS8 asking me:

"So I'm really not bad at math?"

He absolutely hated math last year due to the timed math facts sheets and the addition worksheets. He learned multiplication and division in kindergarten, and we made algebra equations (a + 4 = 7) in preschool. He's been so opposed to math because he THOUGHT he was bad at it that we haven't exposed him to higher level maths yet; still, his MAP scores put him at mid-fifth grade.

I would move her, if you can.