DS7 was tested at 4 as part of a an ASD eval, and while we didn't regret it, it wasn't that useful either. Some of the subtests he bombed because he was uncomfortable with the testing format. We ended up not needing any testing for early entry (where we live, at the Principals discretion if the child's birthday iS within three months of the cutoff) as he was such an obvious candidate (at that point, it was fairly clear that the ASD suspicion was way off the mark).
The testing at seven gave us much more useful information, and we'll be able to use it for entry into a gifted program in fifth grade.
You test if you have to. If you feel early entry is a better (or even the only) acceleration option rather than a rapid skip or direct entry into 1st, have him take whatever test the school wants and hope it's the right choice, you'll only know in hindsight anyway.
Early entry (in our case into 1st, as we are in Europe) has worked out ver y well so far for him, despite his FSIQ in the 150s. He has friends and likes school (he'd better, homeschooling is illegal). We are mulling over a second acceleration directly into the gifted program in fifth, but aren't there yet and may not ever be. The public gifted program is highly regarded among gifties parents (yes, even of pg kids)and we hope it won't be axed for political reasons. So a hopeful story for you! Doesn't mean I don't worry and agonize, but the really bad stuff I have been afraid of (bullying etc,my own elementary experience was traumatic) hasn't happened so far,

Last edited by Tigerle; 09/17/14 12:55 PM.