It has never occurred to me until this week that my DC, age 3.5 might be in the highly gifted range. I was in denial for almost a year that he was gifted in the first place, having been our first child.
He is speeding through 1st grade books suddenly and his math skills are leaping as well. It's not the level that he's at that makes me wonder, it's how rapidly he'll jump a level when he's interested. It happens in just a day or two, he'll just "get" something. Something that takes many children months or a year to absorb.
From a testing standpoint, I assumed we would test him later when we needed the results for advocacy in school, but now I'm wondering if I should do it sooner. Does anyone regret not testing at 4?
In our state, CA, he cannot enter K without proof of being in the upper percentile. I have been stressing about this issue for awhile and I think entering K at 5.5 is what we'll do. But now with this sudden leap in skills, primarily on his own, now I'm getting worried again.
I am finally at the point of putting "homeschool in my back pocket" as many of the veteran parents on the forums have suggested. It does ease some of the stress but for me, it's so sad. I am sad that there is no such thing as a perfect placement for GT kids.
I took our son to preschool this morning and they were counting to 10 and again, I just left with a pit in my stomach. I can't seem to get over it. I'm losing the dream of my child being a happy kid in a group of fun friends on the playground.
Thank you for all of your ongoing support. These forums are truly helpful to us.

Last edited by GGG; 09/16/14 04:19 PM.